iBook Slowdown (cpu sys =93 %)

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Dec 11 09:54:56 PST 2002

> From: Larry Blodgett <lblodgett at macosx.com>
>
> I only have about 350 meg.  What is the minimum I should have??

>> How much free space do you have on the OS X partition or drive?

That's probably too little. Mac OS X (like other Mac OS's before it)
needs room for temp files and whatnot, as well as space (80MB chunks)
for Virtual Memory. If you don't have a lot of RAM the system could
easily be using the 350 (or nearly that much) MB for VM space.

As a rule of thumb, you need to leave at least 500MB or more available.
I usually just leave at least 5-10% of my HD free and clear. If I'm
routinely running on less than 10% free space, it's time for a bigger
drive and/or more organisation/offloading less-used stuff.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**