getting by all the "privileges"

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Dec 16 00:48:38 PST 2002

> From: Patricia Teel <pateel at efn.org>
>
> ...and I apologize. It's a word I can never spell correctly! Isn't
> there
> a way to bypass all these privilege messages and just WORK with my
> laptop? No one else is ever going to use it but ME! This is getting
> ridiculous. Thanks

It's one of my "problem words" as well. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "privilege messages." You should not be
getting any unless:

1. You mean "admin password messages" and while you can probably cut
down on the number you get, no you can't get rid of them when doing
things like installing or modifying the system. This is for your own
protection and I really don't understand people who see them as
burdensome.

2. You are attempting to fool around with the system in ways that will
cause damage if you are allowed to proceed. So stop. Apple is quite
right to stop you from doing something that will damage the system.

3. Your permissions are screwed up. Run Repair Permissions from Disk
Utility (which is located in your Utilties Folder).

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**