Blatantly false statements on list

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Dec 20 14:12:16 PST 2002

> From: "Albert L. Lilly III" <alilly at scican.net>
> I've owned a 5300 grayscale since it
> was new, and it is still a great laptop.  After 7 years, I recently
> retired it in favor of a new iBook, but you know what;  show me any
> PC crap that lasts 7 year, and will work well still.
>
> And, I've got an upgraded Performa 6116 on my desk I bought new in
> 1995.  Runs fine.  Have replaced the HD, added RAM, a G3 card and a
> larger monitor........still my daily desktop.

I think the sour rep of the name "Performa" came from some of the other
models that were more trouble than they were worth, but you're right
that people have become unfairly soured on the entire Performa line
when it's simply not true that "EVERY Performa was a lemon."

The Performa 6116 was based on the PowerPC 6100, and is essentially the
exact same machine. The 6100 was a FABULOUS workhorse, and the one I
own served me well right up till last year. It still runs 9.1 like a
champ, thanks to a Sonnet G3 upgrade card. Never had a bit of trouble
with it apart from a hard drive dying once.

The Performa 6400 however ... ugh. Difficult to open/clean/repair,
parts that don't work with any other Mac, technologies built-in that
Apple later abandoned. It was a perfectly OK machine if you were a) a
light-duty user and b) planned to replace it in due course (say 3-5
years). But for serious users it was a dog.

Uh, I suppose this discussion has veered OT as well, since it's nowt to
do with iBooks. Sorry.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**