[P1] Kinda OT: AOL picture attachments

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Dec 30 09:35:38 PST 2002

> Does someone have the skinny on what AOL does to pictures/attachments?
> Is there a way to unmangle what their mail programs do?

I was working for a division of AOL Time Warner when the company was so
caught up in the idea of "synergy" (soon after the merger) that they
decided to deploy AOL Mail as the company e-mail service, despite the
fact that it was lacking in important features specific to an office
environment, and completely inappropriate for such a task. (We kept
hearing the company was going to try to develop a version of AOL Mail
as a corporate e-mail soultion to offer for sale.) They gave up on it
about six or seven months later, and we went back to Outlook.

Anyway, a good portion of my job involved sending attachments; we got
around the problems by always compressing the files with Stuffit and
BinHexing them, which essentially creates a text file that would emerge
from AOL Mail unscathed. (I don't really recall what it was that AOL
would do to make attached picture files so problematic, but this seemed
to solve the problem.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net