[P1] Cracking clamshell (+plus my upgrade success)

Erik Gilchrist erikgil at metagrafix.com
Sun Nov 24 15:09:52 PST 2002

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 05:55  PM, iBook List wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:22:23 -0600
> Subject: [P1] Cracking clamshell
> From: Travis Martin <tmartin198 at cox.net>
>
> Good morning, all,
>
> I have a graphite se466 with a minor problem on the pcb (audio out jack
> loose) and therefor need to open the case.
>
> I recall reading here some time ago that the clamshell ibooks are
> tricky to
> open and seems like there was a site mentioned that addressed this,
> but I
> can't find any record of it. Can I ask someone to point me in the right
> direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Travis

I just upgraded my Rev A original Blue iBook 300mHz from a 3GB drive to
20GB drive and used these instructions:
http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=7893

pictures are at bottom of page and I just basically used the pics:
http://www.tznet.com/tittle/PHOTOS_1/iBook1.html

I also had these instructions but only skimmed them but they had some
pointers about the bottom back tabs that if not put in properly, may
make the hinge make cracking sounds and be hard to open/close:
http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html

Folks on this list supplied me with these links and i am grateful.  The
site that I run it on is currently under development and while I
upgraded to a total of 288MB RAM the new drive in concert with the RAM
are making it very speedy.  My friend s are impressed at the speed.
Onto load testing I suppose.  My little iBook is performing a bit like
the big boys now.  Well, she is only serving up some PHP DataBase
driven forum, but hey  ;-)

Good luck with your pcb problem!

Erik Gilchrist
mailto:erikgil at metagrafix.com