Battery life for 1yr old iBook

Brett Forrester bforrester at macconnect.com
Mon Nov 25 13:38:48 PST 2002

Dear iBook Listers,

Thank you for the incoming responses regarding expected battery life
for a one-year-old iBook (iceBook, dual USB, Marble, P29,
what-nickname have you). I hope to read a few more, but I do find it
curious so few of you have responded, given that this is the iBook
List and that presumably more than ten of us have such type of iBooks
to our name. (I also find it curious that we on the have such
difficulty staying on topic--battery life of iBooks--but that
observation stems from my composition-instructor incarnation, and
without tangents, really, what fun would all this be?)

The consensus seems to be that between three and five hours of
battery use should still be available to a one-year-old (probably
closer to 1-1/2 in my own case) iBook battery, depending on AirPort
use, and conditions of backlighting, sound volume, and CD access, as
the following example (not all) excerpts suggest (names withheld to
protect the innocent):

>Given Airport and OS X, these iBooks will get about 3 hours on a fully
>charged new battery - assuming no CD is in the computer. Just having a CD in

and

>I've had mine [iBook] for over a year now from new, and I can manage
>to squeeze
>almost four and a half-five hours of use from the battery if I turn the
>screen brightness down to half or slightly below, turn off sound, remove any
>CD's from the drive and run the screen at either thousands of colours, or
>256 grays, which doesn't bother me very much.
>
>If I were to run it at full brightness, I might get three hours maximum, but

and

>For what it's worth to the original poster of this thread, my dual USB
>iBook does very well on its battery, but I do not use Airport.  The
>batteries, now 11 months old each (I have 2), average at least 4.50 hours
>each on a full charge.

All these responses anecdotally suggest that my iceBook's battery at
1-1/2 years (original from July 2001) should be yielding
substantially more than the one-hour (1 hr) average use I get before
the screen dims and I am treated to the sleep-or-recharge warning.
Just now while checking my e-mail and compiling this response, I was
running off battery after a full night's recharge, and the screen
dimmed with the accompanying warning at just about the hour mark of
use. I had Airport on and connected for about thirty minutes of that
time, and the only other applications running were the Launcher and
Spell Catcher under OS 9.2.2 with 128 MB RAM.

Interestingly, none of my responders thus far have indicated any sort
of expected battery life over the long haul--from original receipt of
machine to "time to change the battery for the smoke detector" sort
of deadline, which was what prompted my original question. Every
battery has an expected lifetime of viability, given varying use, no?
The lack of response suggests to me that, conspiracy aside, the
average iceBook battery hasn't reached the end of its period of
usefulness, so my machine's battery must be one of those exceptions
to the rule. (Also I did manage to query an Apple Store manager at a
Genius Bar this weekend, and while he didn't tell me straight out
also that "X number of years can be expected," he did imply that
about three years was Apple's guideline for his understanding.) Of
course I don't have AppleCare for my machine (too expensive for me at
time of purchase and forgotten before my 'Book's one-year birthday),
so I'll have to fork over $129 earlier than I might have hoped for a
new battery. That aside, my iceBook is truly a great machine, and if
the new battery does last about its expected three-year life span, I
shall be pleased.

If only a future iteration of OS X restored the bells and whistles
(literally) dropped from OS 9, I'd be exceptionally pleased.

Cheers,
Brett
======
After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an accident, it makes
you wonder about history.
- Dave Barry
======
bforrester at macconnect.com