Clamshell vs. IceBook

Robert R. Daniel rrdaniel2 at mac.com
Mon Nov 25 17:51:50 PST 2002

For traveling, I am certain the clamshell is a better choice.
It's much sturdier and will stand up to the stress of being
jammed into an overstuffed backpack or carry-on bag.  I have
handled the IceBook and now have a TiBook at work.  I would be
very reluctant to travel with either of them.  I certainly
would not schlep them between office and home when I commute
by bicycle.  With my clamshell, on the other hand, I have no
hesitation:  I pack it and go.

Of course, depending on your use, a TiBook can be a huge
improvement over a Clamshell.  The screen is huge and
brilliant and clear.  It runs faster (and hotter!) and has
a whole bunch of advantages over the clamshell:  internal
DVD/CDRW drive, OS X, Firewire & 2 USB ports.  In essence,
the TiBook is (for me) a desktop machine that I *can* move
around if I need to, but which I rarely choose to do because
I am afraid I may damage the screen or scratch the case.
The Clamshell --as Charles Martin suggests-- is more than
sufficient  \for doing a bit of word processing and other
simple, uncomplicated, processor non-intensive tasks like
checking mail or manipulating small image or data
files.

My $0.02.

Robert