Airport n00b questions

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 8 03:54:00 PDT 2003

I'm planning on adding wireless to my existing cabled network (for
iBooks). My wired network consist of an ADSL modem/router (NAT&DHCP) and
a switch and several Macs and PCs. I was thinking of buying an Airport
Base Station and connect that to the switch. If I understand it
correctly there are two versions of the non-Extreme variant, the first
ABS has only one Ethernet, and the newer one, ABS 2 'snow', has several
Ethernet plugs. Now I heard that ABS 2 does DHCP, is that correct and
does it also function as a switch, not that I need it (I already use
DHCP and have a switch), but I'm curious. Are there any other advantages
for getting a ABS 2, otherwise I think the best bet for me is to buy the
first ABS I think.

Also there are also some PC base stations available and also some
wireless routers such as the Edimax BR-6014W, Netgear MR314 (Linksys?)
and the Draytek Vigor 2200WE and 2600WE.
Add to the fact that if I want to upgrade to an 8MBit ADSL line in the
future I can't use the router functionality of this ADSL modem with
several ISPs (which is actually a software upgraded Alcatel Home to Pro
ADSL modem) so I would have to get another router anyway so what is the
best cost effective way, getting myself an ABS or cheaper (I think) PC
base station which works with 802.11b or go all the way and buy an
expensive wireless router?

TIA,
Marc

BTW FYI I found a usefull WiFi tips site:
http://homepage.mac.com/cramirez/WiFi%20Wireless%20Tip.htm
--
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills

*
*