[P1] here we go again...

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Fri Apr 18 11:48:22 PDT 2003

Brian Fish on 4/17/03 8:11 AM wrote:

> Once again the iBook that I purchased in October is having display issues.
> The screen turns technicolor pin-stripes and locks up.  This would be the
> third time I've had to send my iBook back to Apple for this issue.  Both
> previous times they replaced the logic board.  What the hell am I doing
> wrong to cause this???  It's not like I drop the thing down stairs or
> anything!!!  The last time this happened, the guy told me that if it
> happened again they would replace the machine.  If they do that, will they
> swap the hard drive so I don't lose my data and apps? GRRR...the
> frustration.  I love this machine, it works great.  I spend my time using it
> instead of troubleshooting it like I have with PC's in the past.  But this
> is begining to frustrate me.  Every 3 weeks I've got to send it back to
> Apple and be without a computer for the week.  Any suggestions?  Should I
> not breath a certain way while using it?  Is it me?

I would guess that if they keep replacing the logic board, there must be
another defective component (screen, video cable, power source, ??) that
must be contributing to the logic boards demise. When it does go back, make
sure Apple sticks to it's promise of replacing the iBook. I would also
insist that they give you top priority getting it back to you.

As for backing it up, I would agree with Kim in that they should do it for
you at no cost.

Even if they do back it up free of charge, a better suggestion would be that
you use Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate your hard drive. That way when you
get your replacement iBook, all you'll have to do is restore the copy to
your new drive. This way it will be exactly the same as before and you won't
have to go through a long tedious process of reinstalling or getting your
system set back up the way you are used too.

-Mark