Another Question

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Apr 27 02:39:02 PDT 2003

> From: MRH <macmike at famvid.com>
>
> My imac has two firewire ports.

>> What you want is something like the Hollywood DV Bridge or the Canopus
>> ADC-100. They cost about $250.
>>
>> For about $150 more you can just buy a new digital camcoder (look for
>> one with "passthrough," ie an analog-to-digital converter already
>> built
>> in).
>
> I will look closer at the Digital camcorders I was looking at.
> Depends on if I can get  S-video into the imac through the firewire
> port.

You can't, at least not directly. You need a way to convert the S-Video
to digital form. That means you need one of the following:

1. A device like the Canopus or the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge, OR
2. A digital camcorder that has what's referred to as "passthrough"
(analog video ports for the in, a firewire port for the out).

> What I thought about is buying a Pioneer DVD player that is compatible
> with
> the above mentioned formats.

Macs can only produce DVD-R/RW discs. This is a deliberate limitation
to ensure maximum compatibility.

> no, no. I have an imac 400 MHz slot loaded dv model with a 30 gig HD
> and 256
> meg of memory.

You're not going to be authoring DVDs then. You *must* have a G4 to
make DVDs.
>> What you *can* do is make VCDs, however. These are VHS-quality and
>> burned on regular CD-Rs (they play on most, but not all, DVD players).
>> To make it easy on yourself, you'll need Toast (about $60-90) in
>> addition to the aforementioned ADC unit.
>
> Again Toast I have. Just not sure what version. That was another
> reason if I
> had to on the PC I have Nero.

I think Toast 4 added the ability to burn VCDs via iMovie. You can
check w/Roxio about this.

> Maybe that will help. Do the Sony digital Camcorders have pass  -
> through
> capability?

I assume that some (or most) do. That's something you'll want to ask
the salesperson about (or the company directly -- salespeople lie a lot
in my experience).

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com
http://filmmoi.blogspot.com

Academy Award 2003 - Best Documentary! NOW PLAYING!
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com