[P1] Faulty ram slot

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Tue Aug 5 15:52:43 PDT 2003

On Monday, Aug 4, 2003, at 21:45 America/Los_Angeles, Charles Martin
wrote:

>> From: Translation <spanishtransenglish at hotmail.com>
>>
>> I bought used this 500mhz ibook. Everything works fine. I tried to
>> upgrade
>> the ram with 4 different ram sticks. 1 128 one from a wallstreet, a
>> 256 from
>> a Pismo, a 256 from a TiBook, and today, and original apple 256 ram
>> stick
>> pull from a 14 inches iBook. None of them work. I go to get info and
>> system
>> profile and only shows the default 128, the slot as empty.
>
> It is WAY more likely that you're not pushing the RAM in fully so that
> it's properly seated than it is that you have a bad RAM slot.

Actually, this happened with me. I got RAM where the pins seemed too
thin for the RAM slot in my iBook Dual USB. I would push it in all the
way, but it wouldn't register reliably. When I checked the slot, the
RAM module would never feel snug. I ended up swapping the RAM with the
vendor for one that seated snugly.