damn windows player!

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Wed Aug 6 10:01:12 PDT 2003

> QuickTime 6 supports MPEG-4 (Not M4, isn't that a car?), so if you
> already
> have Quicktime 6.3, which is the latest that is not what is missing.
Well, Sort-of.  If they are in the "standard" mpeg-4 format which no
one uses at the moment or in quicktime format, which some use. It still
won't be able to read an "windows" format file, even though it may be
mpeg-4 inside. The codec is "mpeg4" but the file format (that goes
around it) can be something else. Crazy, isn't it? I had thought this
was finally going to be the holy grail for apple and get support for
most of the (new) windows files, which are variants of mpeg-4
(divx,xvid,WMF,etc) but it still can't read the encapsulating format.

Now If someone was able to make a plugin..Yeah. That wouldn't be too
hard - It just needs to be "smart" enough to read the format, the built
in quicktime cosec's should be able to decode the rest.

thanks,
Ian