iBook and PCMCIA Cards

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 7 18:09:40 PDT 2003

Hello to all!

I'm a student at a Windows-dominated campus, which has decided to put
in an 802.11a wireless network.  (For those list readers who aren't
familiar with 802.11a, it is a 54mbps wireless standard which operates
on a different frequency from the more common 802.11b (AirPort) and
802.11g (AirPort Extreme) standards.)  I'm interested in accessing the
network, but I'm being badly hampered by the iBook's (500Mhz, Dual USB)
lack of a PCMCIA slot.

Given this, my questions in order are:

1.)  Has anyone set up an 802.11a connection from an iBook?  If so, how?

2.)  Can anyone confirm that the AirPort card slot inside a iBook is a
standard PCMCIA slot?  Aside from the issue of form factor, will the
slot connect to a standard PCMCIA card?

3.)  Does anyone know of a way to hook up a PCMCIA card or (desperation
moment here) a PCI card to an iBook?  Granted, carrying around an
external set of connecters is probably a step back  from carrying
around a good 30 foot Ethernet cable, but I'll ask anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Zach Heaton