load OS X?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Aug 7 18:34:27 PDT 2003

> From: don hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
>   I'm thinking, going into my 3rd year, that I'd like to have access to
> Jaguar occasionally, tho still will mostly boot into 9 (don't want to
> slow things down by running certain apps in Classic).

Where DO people get the idea that Classic is slower than OS 9?

I just did a series of timings, things like starting up; opening
Photoshop 4 and running filters; opening Quark 5 and complex documents;
opening MS Word 2001.

In every single case without exception, Classic was faster than "real"
OS 9. Sometimes quite significantly faster. This is 10.2.6, latest
everything we are talking about -- haven't even explored what Classic
under Panther would be like.

It's been my finding that people think OS 9 is faster than Classic
because of a few tangential things (like opening menus and other Finder
ops) that OS 9 still does a bit faster. But that's not where you do
your work, and any head-to-head of productivity with people on OS X and
OS 9 is going to end with OS X the winner, I guarantee it.

There are some situations (still) where working in OS 9 (not Classic)
is a good idea. Certain older and exotic printers and scanners perform
better. Certain older programs perform faster. There are a handful of
apps that I know of (nothing major) that refuse to run in Classic. So
I'm not saying OS 9 is junk.

I'm just saying that this myth of slowness in Classic was put to bed
rather firmly when Jaguar came out.

> 	Is it ok for me just to load Jaguar on at this point (after a backup
> of
> course)? Or do I need to take precautions?

You make it sound like you're handling live bacteria.

The only "precaution" I would suggest is that you download and remember
to use Onyx or Cocktail once OS X is installed, and thereafter use em
about once a month.

_Chas_

That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
-- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset.