[P1] load OS X?

don hinkle donhinkle at att.net
Thu Aug 7 18:48:26 PDT 2003

Thanks to you and to Bill Seilnacht for your responses. I'm taking them
both as gospel...so if anyone wants to quibble with either set of
conclusions, I hope you'll register in pretty soon because I'm gonna
commit and load Jaguar (ok, Chas. WITH Classic) as soon as I back up my
HD and run TechTools and DiskWarrior.
	Woops, Charles. If I load Jag with Classic, do I need to do anything to
my present 9.2.2 System setup?
	And does anyone know if the firmware thing could be an issue???
	Yes, Charlies, I am being clever, because I've seen too many messages
from people who weren't and who suffered. I'm not into pain or
suffering, believe firmly in preparedness.

-don

Charles Martin wrote:

> > From: don hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
> >   I'm thinking, going into my 3rd year, that I'd like to have access to
> > Jaguar occasionally, tho still will mostly boot into 9 (don't want to
> > slow things down by running certain apps in Classic).
>
> Where DO people get the idea that Classic is slower than OS 9?
>
> I just did a series of timings, things like starting up; opening
> Photoshop 4 and running filters; opening Quark 5 and complex documents;
> opening MS Word 2001.
>
> In every single case without exception, Classic was faster than "real"
> OS 9. Sometimes quite significantly faster. This is 10.2.6, latest
> everything we are talking about -- haven't even explored what Classic
> under Panther would be like.
>
> It's been my finding that people think OS 9 is faster than Classic
> because of a few tangential things (like opening menus and other Finder
> ops) that OS 9 still does a bit faster. But that's not where you do
> your work, and any head-to-head of productivity with people on OS X and
> OS 9 is going to end with OS X the winner, I guarantee it.
>
> There are some situations (still) where working in OS 9 (not Classic)
> is a good idea. Certain older and exotic printers and scanners perform
> better. Certain older programs perform faster. There are a handful of
> apps that I know of (nothing major) that refuse to run in Classic. So
> I'm not saying OS 9 is junk.
>
> I'm just saying that this myth of slowness in Classic was put to bed
> rather firmly when Jaguar came out.
>
> >       Is it ok for me just to load Jaguar on at this point (after a backup
> > of
> > course)? Or do I need to take precautions?
> >

> You make it sound like you're handling live bacteria.
>
> The only "precaution" I would suggest is that you download and remember
> to use Onyx or Cocktail once OS X is installed, and thereafter use em
> about once a month.
>
> _Chas_
>
> That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
> clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
> -- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
> imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
> you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
> industry-wide mindset.

>   --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                 |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>    RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler
>   CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

—don hinkle

The wells from one Oklahoma oilfield produced 50 percent of all the oil
for the Allied Forces in the First World War. However each boom was
followed by a bust. One of the biggest was in 1984, when dozens of
Oklahoma banks went bankrupt. A bumper sticker read “Lord, Send Me
Another Oil Boom. I Promise Not to Blow This One.” Read OKLAHOMA, an
Enslow book, by Donald Henry Hinkle. ISBN 0-7660-5138-2