[P1] 7300 Grad, iBook Frosh: Eudora Won't Open URLs

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Sat Aug 9 15:22:21 PDT 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 11:14 AM, Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

> Just got me a brand new iBook 900/14"  Wednesday from the Apple Store
> in Albany, NY - my very first spanking-new computer. For years, I've
> had older Macs including a IIvx and until now, a PM 7300 (G3'ed/400,
> 368 RAM, OS 9.1). From this latter, which was my main machine for more
> than three years, I moved all my data and most of my applications via
> ethernet crossover cable including my Eudora Pro 5.1.3 (paid version)
> to my iBook. All is well EXCEPT:  when I double-click onto a URL in a
> Eudora message, it opens iCab 2.9.1 (new download for OS X), but it
> will not go to the website; it just stays there with the menu bar and
> doesn't go anywhere. I can copy and paste the URL into iCab's address
> line and access the site from there, but it's a major inconvenience
> and waste of time. I've changed the settings and preferences in both
> applications so many times in so many ways that I've lost track. I've
> gone to Eudora's x-settings and changed a couple things with no
> effect. I've changed default browsers (NN 4.8, IE 5.2) back and forth;
> no difference. I've waded through the Eudora tech support for
> Mac/FAQs/etc. with no luck (including the option-click onto the URL to
> set the default browser for Eudora).
>
> What am I doing wrong or what have I missed? Is it that my Eudora is
> functioning under OS 9.2 while iCab is operating from OS X and won't
> handle the transition? I really don't want to download the Eudora
> upgrade to 5.2 for OS X (I'm cheap), but will if that's the group's
> consensus.  FWIW, when I option-double-click onto a URL, IE 5.2 for OS
> X will not appear as an option whereas IE 5.2 in OS 9.2 does show up;
> still, the change to IE 5.2 under OS 9 as Eudora's default browser
> doesn't change anything. Still no go to website.
>
> TIA, Fred

First of all, under the Eudora license agreement, I don't think you
have to pay for the Eudora upgrade to OS X.  It's been a while since
I've used Eudora, but I think you get upgrades free for one year after
you paid for the software.  I would talk to Qualcomm to be sure, but
that's my gut instinct.

If a Eudora upgrade isn't in the cards, there are two things in this
equation that can change:  Your browser and your mail client.  I would
start with the browser - have you tried using other OS X browsers
(Netscape 7, Safari, Camino, OmniWeb) instead of iCab?  I've never been
terribly impressed with the stability or bugginess of iCab - perhaps a
browser switch would solve the problem.

Alternately, you can replace Eudora.  The cheapest and fastest solution
is to use OS X Mail.  Don't just use the default import feature in Mail
to covert your Eudora mailboxes - use Eudora vCard Export and Eudora
Mailbox Cleaner instead. <http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/>  I switched
over to Mail.app from Eudora using these, and recommend them highly.
Eudora Mailbox cleaner can even convert all of your Eudora filters to
Mail.app filters - possibly the single most useful feature of the
program.

Hopefully, one of these suggestions will do the trick for you.  Best of
luck in solving your problem.

Regards,
Zach Heaton