encryption

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 00:13:27 PDT 2003

> Subject: Re: [P1] encryption
> Is this better than an encrypted volume?

It *is* an encrypted volume -- your home folder, which is where (in Mac
OS X) *all* your personal data goes. The only things not protected by
this level of encryption are the apps and system. Everything related to
any personal data (like your passwords, preferences, files you've
created, picture/music libraries and so on) are in the Home folder.

>   I can't imagine remembering
> more than one passcode to cover all my sensitive stuff, but maybe
> others
> are better at that.

I have about five personal codes I use at random. The keychain, of
course, makes this all a lot easier.

_Chas_

The iTunes Music Store has sold five MILLION songs in two months, more
than all other legal download services have sold in TWO YEARS. If they
can maintain that average over the course of a year, Apple will sell
more music than any other retail music source. And that's BEFORE you
add in countries outside the US, and Windows users. Woah.