[P1] battery time under X

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sat Aug 23 05:23:09 PDT 2003

> I remember some time ago, on this list there was some chat about
> battery time under Jaguar but I paid little attention since I was
> still running OS 9. Well, now I'm almost fulltime in Jag...and I just
> started my iBook in a situation where it's running on battery, and the
> icon shows 2:53 time remaining. Under 3 hours, whereas before, in 9, I
> was getting close to 4.

Don, I can't remember which ibook you are using. The subject seems to
indicate it may be a clamshell. If this is the case, an you have been
using it consistently for a couple of years, it may be a battery age
problem. If you still have a copy of 9.2 on it, there is an Apple
battery update that may boost it a bit if age is not the problem. If
you have an airport card in it and leave airport on all the time, that
will decrease your battery time also.

I have a BB clamshell that I ran 10.0 on for a while and don't recall
any time loss from using X. At that time, I had an airport in it but
rarely turned it on.

Most of the time now, I am using my icebook 700 running 10.2.6 with
airport turned on all the time, with brightness about 65-70 % towards
the high side. In energy saver, I have it set to the factory default
for "longest battery life" which puts the monitor to sleep at 1 minutue
oof inactivity and the system at 5 min of inactivity. I consistently
get about 4-4.5 hours battery time. With this energy setting, the
screen also darkens quite a bit just before it sleeps. Since the
monitor is the greatest battery drain and I require more screen light
than many others, I am probably losing some battery time from that.

I bought the icebook right before the Jag battery problem sprouted and
even though I updated as soon as each new update came out, I have not
experienced the battery drop problem reported by some others.

Here is a website about Li batteries that may provide some useful
information in general and specific factors that impact battery life
and longevity. I ran across it but have not finished reading it
completely

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm