[P1] encryption

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Thu Aug 28 12:38:02 PDT 2003

On 2003-08-28 21:27, Richard McKay wrote:

> Joost van de Griek wrote the following:
>
>> <http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php>
>
> There is the way mentioned above of course (which I used as well for a
> period of time), but it is much easier and less risky (IMHO) to simply use
> the GUI equivalent which is included on the OS X installation disk..secure
> mac also had a feature on this method a while ago. If I remember correctly
> you boot into the OS X install disk and then under one of the menu bar items
> it is listed...I can't remember if you had to quit the installer first or
> not but with some searching it can be found...

I agree.

To clarify, the link I posted was mainly meant to clarify that (and how) one
can use Open Firmware to prevent booting a machine from anything but the
boot volume you specify.

In the end, though, I feel it must be said that you can apply all the
encryption you like, but if you still leave your (encrypted) data in a
computer on a desk, you should consider it unprotected.

Sensitive data, encrypted or not, should be kept on removable media, and
these media should be treated as you would equally sensitive (paper)
documents. Lock them in a safe.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--