[P1] Power ON or OFF

Barry Lyden blyden at mac.com
Sun Aug 31 09:23:15 PDT 2003

No harm. But just like everything else in this world, there ARE
various opinions. There are arguments for shutting down and arguments
for leaving it up and running.

For the record, I leave mine on 24/7. I just close the lid and let it
sleep between uses. I shutdown/reboot once every couple of weeks -
sometimes. I've  left it on for a month or so many times (give or
take a few days) without a reboot. I'm sure others have left theirs
on even longer. OS X makes things even better. With UNIX at the heart
of OS X, it's solid. At HP, or we never shutdown or reboot our UNIX
servers in the lab unless they require it. And they usually don't
require it.

It used to be - and still is in many cases - that you needed to
reboot a windows box once or more a day just to free resources and
get the OS back to a responsive state. Win NT improved that somewhat,
and each successive version seems to get a little better, with Win XP
being perhaps the best Microsoft has offered yet. In addition, some
windows laptops have trouble sleeping and waking, docking and
undocking, and frequent reboots are the only answer.

But macs don't typically suffer from the same OS memory management
problems windows machines do. So go ahead, be brave! Leave that Mac
running overnight!

Hope that helps,

Barry
iBook 700 running OS X 10.2.6