[P1] Panther bits

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Mon Dec 1 23:24:43 PST 2003

Le 01/12/2003 17:09, « Harry D.  Corsover » <harry at corsazzi.com> a écrit :

> ----- On 12/1/03 12:41 AM MDT (-0600), Zoki <zoki.news at linuxix.net>
> wrote, in part:
>
>> What hasn't been mentioned during the compaison of Mail and Entourage
>> (G3-800) is that Mail slows down when it has to "swallow" a lot of mail
>> and/or if your address book has a lot of entries. I talk about > 600
>> messages a day and approx 1500 contacts. I'm on several Linux lists, one of
>> them generating a lot of messages so the amount is normal. A assure you, I
>> don't read them all but they're still downloaded. Furthermore, I find Mail,
>> by default, a bit of a hog for a G3 CPU, even without a lot of messages.
>
> Which version of Mail? Panther? I'll be using a 1.25GHz G4 PowerBook. My
> mail volume is about half of what you describe.

*** Mainly the Jaguar version (the last I used). Panther = 10.3.1. I don't
think you'll have to worry. I was talking about Mail & G3 CPU's. You're in a
different ligue with your G4-1,25.

>> However, I don't advice buying MS Office X just for the Entourage client.
>> Mail still can be used by taking some precautions.
>>
> What kind of "precautions?"

*** Purge (read: backup) big sized mailboxes and delete them from the list
so Mail doesn"t have to index them each time, and keep your address book
size down by backing up & deleting old contacts.

>> Then, ofcourse, the Calendar is more polished than iCal and snappier on a
>> G3. The ability to link e.g. an appointment with a ToDo item with the
>> Address with a Note (or any other combination) within Entourage is a nice
>> feature too.
>
> Do you know if these all sync with the Palm OS?

*** Syncs without problems.

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup