[P1] My Xmas stupid question

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Dec 8 18:02:32 PST 2003

On 12/8/03 8:02 PM, "Brian Olesky" <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 12/8/03 5:32 PM, "david" <davidwb at spymac.com> wrote:
>
>> Not only
>> that but having an external drive with a portable computer just isn't a good
>> idea.
>
> Why not? I have a 120 gig external with my 600 mghz iBook and it works
> great. And when I trade in the iBook, everything will still be sitting there
> on the external drive, ready for my new one. Plus a bigger internal drive
> doesn't give you the backup option an external drive does.

The whole idea of a notebook is portability. Size, weight, and battery life
are all measures of a quality notebook experience. If you need space for
your stuff an external drive doesn't cut it. It adds to the space you need,
increases the weight, and if you use a drive that doesn't supply its own
power, it decreases battery life. Obviously, a solution to this is to put
stuff on the external that you don't absolutely need. Well, I played that
game for about 9 months and I never got it right. Every time I figured I had
the most important stuff on the internal drive I discovered I left something
back on the external. The result was my first ever notebook hard drive
upgrade.

That's what I mean by it isn't a good idea. If you NEED the space for your
stuff you need a bigger internal drive. For backup purposes an external
drive is primo, I have an external firewire drive expressly for that
purpose.