fresh installs and not responding to power button

Pamela Plowman pamela at theplowmans.com
Thu Dec 11 23:52:06 PST 2003

Hello all,

I have some questions and I was hoping that I would be able to get some
help from you guys before I start searching the internet.

First, my husband just bought me a previously used Key Lime Clamshell
ibook and I wanted to do a "fresh" install.  Basically, I want to get
the ibook back to how it was before it was purchased.  Like it had never
been used before...  so I could put all MY information in it and get rid
of all the previous owner's information.  Is this possible?  If so, how
would I go about doing it?  (I have all of the CD's that came with it).

Second, last night I had turned on the ibook and I needed a password in
order to do some software updates, so I closed the ibook (putting it to
sleep).  I sent the guy that my husband purchased the ibook from an
e-mail and *patiently* waited for a response.  I had left the ibook on
the carpeted floor.  I didn't get a response back from the man until
tonight and then when I went to get my ibook, the "sleep light" wasn't
flashing green, and the ibook itself wasn't showing any signs of action.
It was turned off completely.  It was also pretty warm on the bottom.  I
had left the a/c adapter plugged in all that time as well.  First I
tried to wake the ibook up by moving my finger across the track pad, and
then I tried pushing the space bar.  Since that didn't work, I pushed
the power button and nothing happened.  I waiting a few seconds and
tried again.  It still didn't work.  So I pushed the reset button near
the screen and waited ten or fifteen minutes and tried to power it on a
couple more times.  Finally, I closed the ibook and put it down and then
I heard the familiar noises of it coming to life.

I was very happy that I didn't fry my motherboard or overheat it or ruin
it, but I am kind of worried about the whole situation.  This doesn't
seem right to me.  Does anyone have any clues as to what might have
happened?

Thanks,
Pamela