ibook, panther and 96MB RAM

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Dec 17 01:22:27 PST 2003

> I ask because I'm running Panther on the same iBook, but at the moment
> chugging a long with only 96MB...

Any computer trying to run Panther on 96MB RAM HAS TO CHUG. The fact it
is even chugging is miraculous. It should just tell you to get lost
instead. {Huge difference in behavior between Macs and PCs given awful
working conditions   8? ) OS 9 on the clamshells chugged with only 96
MBs of RAM. I know, I tried to use it to file online reports and it
would take hours. As soon as I maxed the
RAM to 160 (top possible at the time) it was a happy camper.

How much you should invest in the laptop depends on your future plans
for it and how long you will keep it. If you plan to run Panther on it,
more RAM is an absolute requirement but don't get a small chip, get as
much as you can afford, 256MB at a minimum and be sure to install the
firmware upgrade before you install the extra RAM. Panther will work
more happily on ac than with 96MB of ram.

If you plan to keep the ibook for a year or two, RAM and a new battery
(if you need portability) will be essential. Between the 2, given
Panther in the mix, RAM is the most crucial purchase.

If your primary use of the ibook is typing and a lot of mousing, the
clamshell is still the gold standard for comfort. I have finally made
peace with the icebook keyboard by using a PodiumPad to keep the
pressure of the hard edge off my wrists. But using the trackpad a lot
is really tough on the thumb and wrist with the icebooks and snowbooks,
even the 14" doesn't change that much.

There are people who have money and people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel