[P1] CDRW on Clamshell

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Dec 17 01:29:34 PST 2003

> I have a friend with a Clamshell iBook, Tangerine. So, it does not have
> Firewire. The question is: what is the best way to get a CDRW for him
> to make audio CDs via iTunes on it? I suspect that installing an
> internal drive CDRW that replaces the existing CDRom might be best. I
> also suspect that a USB (1.0) connected CDRW would be a bad idea.
> Comments, agreement with my assessment, other ideas?

I have a scsi burner I bought before I got my clamshell. I bought a
Microtech usb to scsi adapter and connect that to the clamshell and
burn cds very happily with that setup. The adapter was not cheap,
retail is $79, I happened to find one as a returned item at my local
reseller for $49 and ran with it. Since i still have scsi pmacs, the
burner does dual duty. It also lets me use my other scsi peripherals
with my usb hardware, ie, my scsi external HD can be plugged into my G4
tower and I can access the data files.

I haven't checked to see if there is a driver update for OS X but it
does still run on 9.2.2 with no problems.

You may be able to canvas your user group or mac friends to see if they
have any of these components they want to sell so they can raise money
for newer stuff.

There are people who have money and people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel