[P1] Hello?

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Sun Dec 28 21:06:55 PST 2003

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in, too...

I bought a 700 MHz G3 iBook in the summer of 2002.  I had owned three
Apple laptops prior to that, and had never experienced a single problem
with any of them, so I did not opt for AppleCare.  About five months
out of warranty (in other words, about 5 weeks ago) the logic board
failed, and I was faced with a $650-$700 repair.

I decided to throw in the towel and pay a little more for a new G4
iBook instead, which I am *very* happy with.  Of course, I was very
happy with the G3 iBook before its logic board failed, too.  :-\

Anyway, to the original poster of this thread, the iBook is too nice of
a machine for you to regret your purchase - I predict you'll be quite
happy with the iBook(s).   And, as others have said in this thread, if
you read message boards and email lists, you will hear about the horror
stories and not about the happy users, so don't let them get you too
down.  The odds are still largely in your favor that you'll have a
trouble-free experience.

But, it appears that Apple does have some quality control issues, so do
yourself a favor and purchase AppleCare for the iBook(s), and back up
your data regularly (which you should be doing anyway!!).  I learned
the first lesson the hard way, but at least I was already in the habit
of doing the second.

I hope you enjoy your iBook, and this list!

All the best,
Mike W.