[P1] Hello?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Mon Dec 29 02:39:10 PST 2003

The tech guy at the AppleStore did that, pressing all around the
keyboard tho mostly above it, by the two speakers, and got the
video back long enough for me to copy off my files to my external
HD before I let them have it to send in for repair.  He also
pressed all around the screen frame, squeezing it between thumb
and fingers ( which old posts used to say helped a bad display
problem in early tiBooks)  Summer 2002 700MHz 12" iceBook, display
failure ("plaid screen, rolling video") in a little over a year.

Repair was to replace the logic board, tho the work--sad to say--
was done sloppily; also, after the replacement the startup process
included some display irregularities (which the store tech guy
agreed were not right but which AppleCare would not correct, saying
them were "common" tho I've found no other iBook user who has them.

Seems to me with this generic a problem, Apple should fix them
even after the 1 year warranty for people who don't buy the
extended AppleCare (as I had), like they did when the graphite
base stations were going bad due to some component failure.  And
let whoever is the manufacturer of the bad part pay for it, if
that's the situation.  Quality control, you know.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Gene Merritt wrote:
 . . .
> > 	 2.  	The video chip on the motherboard comes loose when its solder
> > gives way leading to video failures, usually with no warning. This may
> > be triggered by flexing of the case putting strain on the chip until
> > it eventually comes loose (some have suggested never picking up your
> > iBook by the left-hand side alone as this is where the video chip is).
> > If after a video failure you plug in an external monitor and it
> > doesn't work this is most likely your problem and you need a new logic
> > board. Some people have tried pressing down hard on the left-hand side
> > of the case just below the option key to the left of the track pad and
> > managed to get video back temporarily (apparently this reseats the
> > video chip). Others have reported some success sticking rubber
> > bands/thin foam insulation on the underside of the shielding over the
> > video chip to protect it from flexing/pressure from the case. Seems
 . . .