[P1] Mirroring while keeping the screen closed

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Dec 31 13:44:55 PST 2003

> I plugged my old 17" CRT screen in my 12" iBook. Mirroring works
> great, of course, however, can't find a way to close the iBook without
> putting it to sleep. I'm able to wake it up with the external
> keyboard, but it goes back right away to sleep. To is annoying since
> in order to use my external screen, the laptop screen must be opened !
>
> Any workaround or setting I missed ?

None that I'm aware of. While the later iBooks do have fans to keep the
inner workings cool (the earlier clamshell models are entirely
convection cooled), they're not designed to operate /completely/
closed; the build up of heat would cause component failures. (Many
Powerbook models, though, can be operated while closed.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net