[P1] Mirroring while keeping the screen closed

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Dec 31 15:55:19 PST 2003

On 12/29/03 8:03 AM, "Alexandre Leroux" <alexandre at leroux.net> wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> I'm new to the laptop world. My fourth mac is an iBook G4 :-) I have a
> simple question for you that should be an easy one to answer :-)
>
> I plugged my old 17" CRT screen in my 12" iBook. Mirroring works great,
> of course, however, can't find a way to close the iBook without putting
> it to sleep. I'm able to wake it up with the external keyboard, but it
> goes back right away to sleep. To is annoying since in order to use my
> external screen, the laptop screen must be opened !
>
> Any workaround or setting I missed ?
>
> Thanks a lot :-)

I have seen a message at a forum, I think macnn, that shows how to change a
firmware setting to allow this. I strongly urge you to not use it. The iBook
is made to be used with the lid up. A significant amount of the cooling is
done through the top of the computer - ie around the keyboard - and keeping
the lid shut inhibits cooling. Heat is the enemy of electronics and using
this hack could seriously shorten the life of your computer.