Web Cam for iBook, iMac?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Feb 7 16:42:33 PST 2003

> From: Joe <jabeleda at nbn.net>
> I convinced a friend to switch from a PeeCee to a new  iBook.  However,
> she would like to use a web cam with Yahoo IM or stream the cam on her
> web site. The newest version of IM says it supports web cam-ing with
> the Mac, though I  noticed  a lot of the USB web cams only indicate
> they are PC compatible.  Is she out of luck if this is so?

No. There are webcam drivers for a wide variety of USB webcams for the
Mac, though most of them have been written by a third party.

Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com, do a search on "webcam" and
you are bound to find one of these "universal driver" programs, and a
list of the exact webcam models they support.

_Chas_

"Executives in the PC business use the word "sexy", in such a way that
I'm always surprised to discover that their children aren't adopted.
The Mac interface is not "sexy", and it would be grotesque to want it
to be. It is, in fact, playful, often well over the line into
frivolity. The bouncing icons (and the puffs of smoke and the
pipe-organ speech synthesizer and the way dialogs tidily resize and the
drop-shadows on the windows and the jellybean buttons and the eject key
on the keyboard) are not individually rationalizable on utilitarian
grounds, and they do not pretend they mean to be. They are there to, in
aggregate, change the nature of your relationship with the device. They
are joyful, and they hope their joy is infectious." -- Glenn McDonald