[P1] Free/cheap modem internet access on road?

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 18 15:52:17 PST 2003

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 04:53  PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> I have Sprint too, and would love to be able to use my cell phone to
> connect
> my iBook to the Internet and retrieve my email when I'm on the road.
> Which
> Sprint phone are you using to do this? And does it come with a cable to
> connect it to the iBook? Where does it connect? To the phone port? To
> a USB
> port?

You need three things, the phone and account, a cable and a driver.

I used a Timeport with a Socket card via the PC Card slot on a Pismo (I
have both for sale or trade if anyone is interested).

I am looking at the merlin c201 pc card now which using the 3G stuff
and should hit 1.5 M some time soon, Right now it is maxed out at 140K
or so, usually hitting 50K about the same as dialup. That service would
be unlimited for $100 a month. Most of the 3G stuff (PC VISION) has a
per megabyte charge that really can add up. Download one apple update
while you are eating in a restaurant and you might owe Sprint
$100000...  :)

There are wireless connectivity kits for a FEW of the newer phones and
I will check them out again tomorrow when I go back for the C201.

I have a USB connection cable for my i300 but am working on getting it
to act as a modem.

---
jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com