[P1] Using a Mac in a Windows office

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 23 05:21:15 PST 2003

On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 09:47  PM, Kim Gammelgård wrote:

> If they have the windows .xls-extension then that should not even be a
> problem on the PC. I send Excel-files forth and back to my work-PC
> without
> any problems at all and had never had the problem you describe.

My experience comes from being emailed xl docs and when they are
dragged to the desktop on OS 9, they remain as generic icons, just as I
described. Not a big deal since I can handle it, as I described, but my
clients probably would have a problem if I weren't getting the sheets
for them.

> As I have never had that problem, are you sure your settings are
> correct,
> Jack?

Of course. I receive the files via email in OS X. I drag them to an OS
9 desktop via Firewire DT. The icon ends up as a generic icon since
there is no type and creator in windows or OS X.

>  You don't seem to me like a person who uses that many spreadsheets, so
> this generalization is perhaps a bit off?

Nope. Bang on.

>  Did you do an info on one of the
> files and change what application that should open all files of this
> kind?

There is no changing of the type can creator in OS 9 via Get Info nor
do I recall being able to assign the application is that manner in OS
9. It always takes a third party application such as File Buddy.

---
jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com