[P1] Airport Set up Question

Basil Bourque basilbourque at mac.com
Sun Feb 23 19:05:41 PST 2003

On Sunday, Feb 23, 2003, at 18:14 US/Pacific, Thomas D. Kearns wrote:

> My set up:  Verizon DSL Modem to Hub to Airport (iMac also hooked to
> Hub).
> My iBook (OS 9.0.4) sees the Airport but I can't get the internet.
> I can't get either the Internet or Airport Assistance to work.
> Internet asks for a "subnet mask" and a "router address" and I don't
> know either.

You have to get that information from your DSL provider, which I
suppose is Verizon in your case.

Your internet provider must give you all the fields of information you
see in the Network systems preferences:

- IP Address (Identifies your computer from other computers. Four sets
of numbers, each in the range of 0 to 255. If you were given a specific
"fixed" address type it here (preferable), otherwise choose "DHCP" to
get one assigned to you automatically.)

- Subnet mask. (Usually something like 255.255.255.0. It is not worth
explaining. Just know that it mathematically matches your IP address
number.)

- Router (the IP address of the computer-like device "router" at the
internet service provider that connects your home to the Internet. Also
called "Gateway", especially in the MS Windows world.)

- DNS servers (the IP address(es) of the computers which provide the
service of translating domain names such as "apple.com" or "cnn.com" to
an IP address number that is actually used to connect)

For a direct connect (computer to hub to DSL "modem") you enter the
data in the Network panel. For going through Airport, you enter the
same data in the Airport admin tools.

"Designing AirPort Networks" guide by Apple for Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
and 10.1:

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/
query?searchMode=Assisted&type=id&val=KC.120146

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/
query?searchMode=Assisted&type=id&val=KC.120061

P.S. Next time avoid Ma Bell, and use a real internet provider (see
DSLReports.com for companies like Speakeasy.net).

--Basil