[P1] OS X scanners

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 21:24:27 PST 2003

On 2/24/03 7:39 AM, "tamara buffalo" <buffalo59 at mac.com> wrote (edited for
length):

> I went to best buy to get a canon 20 or 30 they were on sale and the
> guy at the store said they were so painfully slow they were of no use.
> also not any good for scanning photos. has that been your experience?

Too slow for what? I probably wouldn't want one in a production/commercial
setting. I have the 30 and I think it's great. At very high res, it's not
incredibly fast but I don't know as you're going to get incredibly fast at
that price (I paid $99 and then got a $10 dollar rebate from Staples). I
like the scans I've done of photos. In fact, I haven't scanned anything
else; that's what I bought it for. I read that there is a red cast if you
don't adjust it properly but I haven't had that problem. I'm scanning into
Photoshop Elements 2.0. I tried VueScan but I didn't understand it and the
OS X Photoshop plug-in came out about two days after I bought it.

I read a lot of reviews on Cnet or some place like that. It got generally
positive reviews.

What I'd be curios to know is what did he think you should buy and how much
did it cost? I'm a commissioned sales rep and we push (at least a little),
certain products because we have a lot of them in stock or got a really good
deal from the manufacturer. I try to be honest and listen to the customer's
needs but.... Also, does the sales rep use a Mac or a PC? Has he used this
scanner. What's their return policy? If you can return it, try it out
yourself.

Meg