[P1] Capturing video clips from DVD

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Wed Feb 26 07:19:54 PST 2003

Charles Martin on 2/26/03 3:22 AM wrote:

>> I have a 500MHz Dual USB iBook with combo drive, currently running
>> Jaguar. I
>> was wondering if there is a way to capture small video clips from a
>> DVD? I
>> just want to send a couple small QuickTimes to a friend, nothing high
>> end.
>
> Yes, there are several. I believe ffmpeg X will do this for you,
> converting it into an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file. There's another one called
> Forty-Two (a Doug Adams reference perhaps?) that's supposedly great as
> well. Both are freeware. This will of course not work on copy-protected
> (ie commercial) DVDs, but works great for personal ones.

Well, these are commercial DVDs. I just got the new release of an old
Saturday morning kids show that was my all time favorite. Even 40 years
later I still have fond memories of the show (I was 6 at the time) but
anybody I mention it to stares at me like I'm a nut.

Anyhow, I just got all 39 episodes of Fireball XL5 on DVDs and I wanted to
capture a clip to show to a few friends out of state that it really did
exist. Of course after they see those old marionettes wandering around in
space, maybe they'll think I'm even more nuts...

<http://my-scifi-stuff.com/fireballxl5/>

Well, I'm straying off-topic here. I don't have any other digital capture
capabilities and I'm sure not going to invest in anything just to get a
small QuickTime to show my cousin. Thanks for the input any way!

Ya know though, I could plug my iBook output (via AV cable) into the AV
inputs of an old PowerMac 8500 I have collecting dust on the attic steps.
Doesn't the Apple Video Player do some limited video capture?

-Mark