[P1] Icebook dvd regionfree ???

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Thu Jan 2 00:13:32 PST 2003

on 1/2/03 8:06 PM, George Slusher at gslusher at rio.com wrote:

> As far as I can find out, the region coding is legal.

Yes .. Legal .. But still annoying ... As far as I have researched so far ..
Having or using a regionfree dvd drive is NOT illegal (then again, I am no
lawyer) ... I understand the region coding is an agreement between the movie
people and the hardware people ... Not with the actual user ..

I feel that I should have the right to be able to play any official DVD that
I legally buy ...

> Try this site:
>
> http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html
>
> Be sure to read their FAQ and other warnings. There may be good reasons
> not to do this. I have read that some DVDs will not play on region-free
> players, for example.

You are referring to RCE ... Region code enforcement .. The latest
agrivation the region code people came up with .. The drive or player has to
be set to a certain (the right) region to play that DVD ... One DVD I have
that does that is "Charlie's Angels" ...

And an interesting side fact .. There is a region 8 !!! who knew .. It is
for planes, cruise ships and stuff ..