[P1] self-quotes

John Paul Moore JohnPaulMoore at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 20:14:26 PST 2003

At 1:58 PM -0600 1/4/03, J Patrick Draine wrote:

>Yow! I joined this list yesterday hoping to find discussions focussed
>on the iBook. I take it there's no moderator on this list? <sigh> Oh
>well ....
>
>In the meantime I'm seriously considering adding an iBook to the
>household's stable of Macs (333 MHz iMac, 500 MHz iMac). Even though
>the local Apple stores are delightful places to briefly try out the
>merchandise, I'm generally a refurb kind of guy.
>I'm considering the refurb 600 MHz (20 gig HD, 128 meg RAM, CD only)
>iBook, approx $799 at smalldog and sometimes the Apple Store. Any
>thoughts on this model? My only previous laptop was a PowerBook 150, a
>very bare bones model in its day, and long retired with disk drive and
>(probably) dead PRAM battery problems.

Until a few years ago, I still had my original Mac plus, and have owned and
or used nearly every desktop and powerbook model since. I joined this list
because I am grooming my new 800 mhz icebook to replace my pismo powerbook
in daily work. My very favorite form factor was the old duo powerbooks and
I have three of them, none of which has the battery life necessary to work
remotely anymore. My new 12 inch icebook is close enough to being that
small and easy to wag around, but with OSX-strength power. I think I am
going to like it a lot and can't wait for the iskins people to give me
something cool to wrap around it. My experience has taught me to always go
for the top of the line in terms of processor speed and added ram because
the more you get up front, the longer useful life you will have before
obsolesence and/or pure machine envy cause you to get a new one. That's my
.02.

John Paul Moore
johnpaulmoore at austin.rr.com
http://alllinked.com