[P1] self-quotes

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Sun Jan 5 10:47:35 PST 2003

----- On 1/4/03 8:31 PM MDT (-0600), Eric B. Richardson
<lbyron at comcast.net> wrote, in part:

>Somewhere I misplaced the place where you said that Bush was
>unelected. He was clearly elected by the only vote that counts the
>electoral college. Or don't you just care about the constitution and
>the rules? No, I didn't think that you did.
>
>He was elected by a greater percentage of the popular vote than Bill
>Clinton got in either election. And I don't believe that Gore had a
>majority of the vote either, if he had he would have won.

Make up your mind, Eric; you can't have it both ways.

Are you not aware that someone can get a clear majority of the popular
vote but still not win under the Electoral College rules? It is my
understanding that Gore won the popular vote (i.e., a clear majority) but
Bush won the Electoral College. The former is a simple numeric count; the
latter has to do with how many electoral votes each state has. That's why
campaigning is strongest and earliest in the "swing" states -- the ones
with the most electoral votes.

As for making sweeping statements about "percentage of the popular vote,"
let's not forget how many potential voters didn't vote because they were
fed up with the ridiculous system, or saw no real difference between the
Republicans and the Democrats. Don't forget the old statement "There are
liars, damn liars, and statisticians." Almost anyone can take the same
statistics and make it appear to validate their point of view.

Best Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
Amazing Travel * Health * Legal & Tax Benefits
    Get & Send Email by Voice! * Much More!
          <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562