[P1] New powerbooks .. DROOOL

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 04:05:31 PST 2003

I'm quite impressed by the size of the new Powerbooks. The 12" appeals the
most to me. I have a clamshell iBook and a Powerbook Duo 230, and the 230
really wins out on size and weight. The iBook is clumsy and over heavy by
comparison. I always hoped Apple would one day try and get back to the size
and coolness of the Duo's, and it certainly looks as if they're aiming for
it here.

The only thing that puts me off now (OK, besides the fact that I'm as poor
as a church mouse who'se wife has made off with the local village rat and
taken all the cheese), is that its a first revision machine. I'd wait until
all the kinks are worked out before entertaining the idea.

The other thing is, have they gone back to the G3 powerbook line in terms of
interchangeability i.e. Can you change out the hard drive easily?

Other than that, the 17" really doesn't interest me. I'd be perfectly happy
with as small and as powerful a unit as possible. Besides, the powerbook can
be plugged into external monitors if a nice big screen is what you're
needing. I love the idea of something that really is small and light enough
to be really portable. Not to mention the fact that it looks to be just an
Icebook with a titanium finish. So damn cool :)