CD ROM driver duplication in OS9

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 12:43:11 PST 2003

Hi there,

I have two sets of drivers in my System folder. I'm running Mac OS9.0.4
One of the drivers came on an old CD and is from 1995, my other CD driver is
from 2000. Consequently, I also have two versions of Apple Audio CD player.

My question is, will the computer know to differentiate between the two? I
cannot run the game without the older CDROM driver, but the computer is just
fine running everything else with the more recent driver.

Would this cause conflicts, bizarre lock-ups? As you can see, I haven't a
clue as far as this stuff is concerned, but I was wondering if there is a
simple solution like:

A) Leave it alone, as no harm will come to the system with these files on it
doing the same thing.

B) Switch off the older driver extension in Extensions Manager whenever you
aren't using the game and no harm will come to you, young padwan, or:

C) If you're gonna bother us with this banal crap, why don't you just o buy
a console.

I'm really hoping that A or B is the answer. Any opinions, o' wonderful
fellow iBook owners?