[P1] iBook & printers connectivity

Mark ibooklist at helpmymac.com
Wed Jan 8 13:55:00 PST 2003

Mitchell Schwartz on 1/8/03 3:19 PM wrote:

> I have a new iBook 800MHz that I want to be able to connect to my old
> stylewriter ll printer on occasion. Is it just a simple matter of using
> a serial-USB connector or is there some other inherent incompatability
> issue that I need to know about as well ?  What about drivers, my iBook
> has both OS X and 9.x installed.

While it's nice that you want to keep an old StyleWriter going, you'll
probably find that it's going to cost you just as much for a USB to serial
adapter as it would to buy a cheap, new, USB inkjet printer.

Here's Belkin's option for $49.95:
<http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id
=2077&pcount=&Product_Id=102007&Section.Section_Path=%2FROOT%2FMacProdu%2E%2
E%2Eessories%2FAdapters%2Fct_Id>>

Not too long ago I picked up a very nice Epson C60 printer (does GREAT photo
quality output for a budget printer) for $49 at Office Depot and I've seen
other name brand printers for as low as $35 refurbished.

I don't know if there are StyleWriter drivers in OSX. I kinda doubt it.

-Mark