[P1] iBook & printers connectivity

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 8 14:15:37 PST 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 16:55 Canada/Eastern, Mark wrote:

> Mitchell Schwartz on 1/8/03 3:19 PM wrote:
>
>> I have a new iBook 800MHz that I want to be able to connect to my old
>> stylewriter ll printer on occasion. Is it just a simple matter of
>> using
>> a serial-USB connector or is there some other inherent incompatability
>> issue that I need to know about as well ?  What about drivers, my
>> iBook
>> has both OS X and 9.x installed.
>>

> While it's nice that you want to keep an old StyleWriter going, you'll
> probably find that it's going to cost you just as much for a USB to
> serial
> adapter as it would to buy a cheap, new, USB inkjet printer.
>
> Here's Belkin's option for $49.95:
> <http://catalog.belkin.com/
> IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id
> =2077&pcount=&Product_Id=102007&Section.Section_Path=%2FROOT%2FMacProdu
> %2E%2
> E%2Eessories%2FAdapters%2Fct_Id>>
>
> Not too long ago I picked up a very nice Epson C60 printer (does GREAT
> photo
> quality output for a budget printer) for $49 at Office Depot and I've
> seen
> other name brand printers for as low as $35 refurbished.
>
> I don't know if there are StyleWriter drivers in OSX. I kinda doubt it.
>
> -Mark

I ran into the same situation with a Stylewriter 2500 and a Beige G3
that was upgraded from 9.1 to 10.2.  Here's the closest thing to a
solution I could find (I didn't try it, so no guarantees.)

<http://www.mcgillis.org/~matthew/printing.html>

You might also try Gimp-Print:

<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>

Best of luck to you!