[P1] iBook & printers connectivity

Mark ibooklist at helpmymac.com
Thu Jan 9 08:48:34 PST 2003

Paul Bernhardt on 1/8/03 6:20 PM wrote:

>>> I have a new iBook 800MHz that I want to be able to connect to my old
>>> stylewriter ll printer on occasion. Is it just a simple matter of using
>>> a serial-USB connector or is there some other inherent incompatability
>>> issue that I need to know about as well ?  What about drivers, my iBook
>>> has both OS X and 9.x installed.
>>
>> As Mark suggested, it would be cheaper in the long run to get an USB
>> printer than a USB-to-serial converter. You also should consider that
>> cartridges for the StyleWriter II may not be available at some point. The
>> performance of the new printer will be far beyond the StyleWriter's.
>
> I disagree completely. In the long run it will be cheaper to continue to
> use the Stylewriter II. The printer cartridges are cheaper and last
> longer than you find for more current printers.
>
> What a lot of people don't realize is the real cost of printing is in the
> cartridges, not the first cost of the printer.

I agree completely that the real cost of printing is in the cartridges.
That's why I don't buy the ones sold by the printer's manufacturer.

As I mentioned, I bought an Epson C60 for $49 (which is pretty much the cost
of the cartridges alone) but I was smart enough to consider the future
expense of buying more cartridges. This is why I buy third party cartridges.

For example, I've had excellent results with cartridges purchased from
ink4art.com (I use them where I work). I can purchase one of their 6-packs
(3 color & 3 black) for just $49. That's about a 3rd what you would pay for
Epson cartridges. You say you print mostly black...then buy an all black
6-pack for the same. Sometimes you can find coupons at dealmac.com and get
free shipping or a better price.

Yes I've heard the argument against using aftermarket cartridges, that they
can be harmful to you printer. But that's not been my experience, and for
me, that's what counts.

I had a very nice Color StyleWriter 4100 that I used with my PowerBook G3
prior to purchasing my iBook. I considered the USB/serial adapter at the
time but decided in the long run a new printer would be a better option in
the long run. My primary need for inkjet is color output and after seeing a
photo quality print come out of the Epson I decided that I had made the
right choice. I have a nice Olympus digital camera and after seeing how good
even a 2MB image can look on photo quality paper, I've all but retired my
film camera.

I have to admit though that I already had one of Apple's best LaserWriters
for B&W output, a 16/600PS. Man can it crank out the pages! Plus it's
networked via ethernet. So I already had the B&W, quantity option covered.

Oh yeah, regarding your paper misfeeds. You might try lightly buffing the
rubber feed rollers with one of those green, Scotchbright scouring pad. I've
found that this cures a number of paper feed problems in both inkjet and
laser printers.