An extension conflict I can't fathom.

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Thu Jan 9 13:48:06 PST 2003

Hi there,

I'm using an iBook 466SE with MacOS9.0.4 and 320Mb ram.

Recently I tried to run an old peice of software, and it asked me to install
an older CD driver to make it run. The driver was CD-ROM driver 5.11
(otherwise known as the Apple CD600 external CD-ROM driver). After that, the
program worked fine.

The next day I inserted a DVD, and the machine totally locked up. I switched
off the older CD-ROM driver extension, and also an older copy of Apple CD
player that was installed along with it. However, the iBook is still acting
up. It cannot read a DVD disc at all. Either it locks up, and when I hold
down the button's for a force restart, I get a blank white box in the middle
of the screen, or a system bomb. Nothing shifts this problem.

The rest of the iBook seems to work fine, all the other programs, but the
DVD player is not happy at all. Any ideas how to solve this? I thought I
could just turn off the older extensions and all would be well... not so :(