[P1] IBook query...

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Jan 12 09:59:52 PST 2003

On 1/12/03 12:45 PM, "Pat D. Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com> wrote:

> I'm outfitting an iBook (an orange clamshell) for a friend, and have
> been planning to put her in 9.1, but I like OSX a lot and have had no
> problems with it in the three weeks I've had it...so now, I'm
> wondering...how slow will that machine be if I put it to X and how much
> memory does she need to make it run well?  I think I've read that that
> is a problem...any others I should consider?  I like the way Safari
> works and I could just transfer everything from my iBook 700 to it,
> right?  As a clean install?  She's PC phobic and asked me to put in the
> easiest system I could find because she hated the PC she used at
> work...never did learn to use it properly and thinks she can a Mac for
> email and simple stuff.  So, I really don't want to create problems for
> her as I live 4 hours away and will have to troubleshoot it.

There are 4 points to consider: The first is RAM and that should really be
bumped to the max so you'll want to install a 128meg stick. The second is
hard drive space. With a 3 gig drive installing Jag and OS 9 will just about
max out the drive. The third is speed. With 170meg RAM the machine will be
no speed demon but running AppleWorks, a browser, and email will not be a
painful proposition. I used OS X on my tangerine iBook for quite some time
and was happy. The fourth is legality. What can you legally install on her
iBook?
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com