[P1] IBook query...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 12 15:57:21 PST 2003

In the situation you describe with the newbie being a former pc user, I
might suggest you stick with OS 9 for a few reasons:

3 Gig drive is probably not enough for X.
Slow processor and minimal RAM.

And the most important reason of all, there is a lack of people who
really know how to handle OS X problems. I've been through the
X-Problems and even with 15 years of consulting experience, it was a
bear. With OS 9, it was easy...you throw the last few things you added
to your drive and the problems disapeared or your trashed a certain set
of preferences...

Naturally there were other problems to deal with, but the X-Problems
are far more difficult to trouble shoot.

Thus, if your friend is four hours away and has problems, you might not
be able to resolve them with X but you probably can with 9. I've solved
problems with X over the phone but found my self, on my own Mac,
absolutely stuck with X. Not that I didn't resolve them, but that 80%
of the suggestions were not the answer.

So, my suggestion and only for this particular situation is to install
9.

Even though I feel X to be the far superior OS...

---
I propose that all elections for public office be advanced two years so
that anyone elected to office can serve a two year jail term for the
crimes they are about to commit and that we will probably find hard to
prove.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com