new ibook user

J. Brenning brenning at egyptian.net
Wed Jan 15 04:19:38 PST 2003

My dd recently purchased an ibook. We've always been PC people, so Apples
and laptops in general are new territory for us. I have several questions I
hope no one minds me firing off.

Is it okay to move a laptop while you're using it? I've always known not to
move a cpu while it's on, but it seems, at least partly, the point of a
laptop is the portability -- even while it's running. But what's to stop
the harddrive from crashing? What about traveling in a car on a
not-so-smooth road?

Also, when she turns on her laptop and looks at the screen, there are file
folders showing. Is this the equivalent of the PC's desktop? If so, how do
you file these folder to get them off the desktop and on as shortcuts?

Another thing is that when she downloads a program it seems to
automatically unzip and install. Is this normal or is it because of the way
something is set up?

Is ircle the only irc program for apples?

Is there a book or something that is recommend for newbie ibook users. Most
of it we can figure out, but I'd like to understand it little better.

Thanks so much!

Judi