[P1] To Sleep or Not To Sleep?

Mark ibooklist at helpmymac.com
Wed Jan 15 04:46:38 PST 2003

Charles Martin on 1/15/03 3:28 AM wrote:

>> From: Eric Schwarz <schwarztech at jmug.org>
>>
>> Hi,
>> When is it better to shut down an iBook, rather than putting it to
>> sleep?  Should one not move their iBook when it is in sleep?
>
> Assuming your sleep works correctly, it doesn't matter.
>
> I wouldn't put a sleeping laptop in a knapsack, though: it is easy to
> accidentally "wake" the thing and then the lack of air circulation can
> cause problems. For those occasions (or when I know it's going to be
> left idle and unplugged for a long time), I shut it down.

I bought my iBook last March and have only shut it down once, to ship it
back to Apple for service. Otherwise I just put it to sleep. I love that
it's awake and checking mail just seconds after I open it, even via AirPort.

I carry it back and forth to work every weekday while asleep in my case (a
big soft leather bag with a padded pocket for laptop). Prior to this I've
carried 2 Wallstreets, a Kanga, PB1400c and a Duo2300c.

I was just curious as to how one could accidentally wake a PowerBook while
transporting it like this as I've never had this happen to me in the last 3
years I've been toting it around like this. And I'm not exactly gentle with
it either. I just plop the bag on the floor when I hop in my van and it
tends to get bumped around a lot while being carried (granted it's a padded
bag and I have far too much other crap stuffed in the surrounding pockets).

-Mark