Webmail query (OT?)

Mary Jo mjbirdsong at applelinks.net
Sun Jan 19 13:53:05 PST 2003

I have tried a few free webmail addresses.  My mail at AOL
is difficult to handle at times and I wanted to organize the
mail by adding a few other names, etc.  I achieved my goal
with a couple of good free addresses which I am happily
using.  But — I've had a very strange experience with one —
and it has not been good.  Here's the story:

eudoramail.com is run by Lycos.  I started an account there.
While I was experimenting elsewhere, a period went by during
which I didn't use this address.  Then I went back and
logged in:  To my amazement there were over 100 messages
from Mailer-Daemon!  I looked at them carefully and
concluded that someone had stolen my address and used it to
send Spam.  The two messages i was able to read were
concerned with insurance and the sale of software.  I found
the name "Nguyen" and also ".fr" — apparently the spammer
had sent a cy to himself in some way.  I wondered vaguely
whether someone in France had hijacked my name and used it.

It is impossible to contact a living being at eudoramail or
at Lycos.  I used their link, which mandates that a subject
be chosen.  The only one which is even vaguely connected
involves the handling of Spam.  I sent two emails via that
route, with HELP! HELP! SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY ADDRESS!
(sort of like Help Help I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune
cookie factory!)  But the only result was to receive canned
messages telling me how to block Spam.  I called Lycos in NY
and left a message.  No call back.

I decided that nothing much could happen to me (I hope
that's correct).  I went in and changed my profile, entering
a lot of baloney.  Of course, I had never given any credit
cards, or anything like that.

The above has consumed about a month.  I transferred all the
messages to a folder called "Spam."  As of today there are
260 messages in the Spam folder!  If it keeps up long
enough, I suppose it will eventually go over the storage
allowance at eudoramail.com and Lycos would deign to notice
it.  Then they might reprimand me for sending Spam!  It's a
funny situation.  Has anyone else heard of this kind of
thing?   Mary Jo
Free eMail and Web Site for Macintosh Users
http://www.applelinks.com/
The Think Different Store
http://store.applelinks.com/