[P1] Which PC based laptop is comparable to the iBook ??

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Jan 19 17:42:03 PST 2003

Peter,

Variety being the spice of life and all...

If you want decent design and conception as well as a software package that
works fairly well together then I would suggest a Sony...decent size
selection, firewire almost always included and bluetooth in some of the
newer models...I think that they had a 10.4" model recently that was nice if
you had to go to the dark side...the price is higher than for other
notebooks but I think it is worth it compared to the rest of the selection.
My wife uses a sony vaio and it is pretty good for a doze machine...one last
criteria that may help...try to find a laptop that you can install Linux on
and still use everything...i.e. modem, sound, sleep, etc...This may help
considerably when you need/want to try something that win can't do...and
besides open source is the future...the foundations of the monopoly are
starting to crack...Not sure about the sony and linux but a search on the
web should let you know what laptops work...

slightly OT:

May be that I'm slow but has anyone else noticed that if you hold down the
back button for a sec or two in safari that it brings up a list of recent
pages you visited, nice to have on the iBook so that there is less touchpad
movement or clicking needed...